Yemen's former permanent ambassador to the EU Dr. Ebrahim al-Adoofi said on Friday that "those calling for setting up an international enquiry commission into human rights violations in Yemen don't want Yemen to breathe a sigh of relief, but want the war to continue."
He was addressing a seminar held on the sideline of the UN Human Rights Council's 36th session in Geneva.
He said that the national committee in charge of the enquiry "has managed to investigate into several violations that affected the civilians in different cities and provinces."
"The international commission will be a commission for complicating the track of political settlement according to the regionally and internationally recognized three terms of reference for peace," he added.
In her presentation in the seminar, Yemen's former Human Rights Minister HooriyaMashehoor said: "The decision to form the national commission for investigating into alleged human rights abuses was not a momentary impulse. But it had been a pressing concern in the mind of the government to have such a commission to investigate into the violations that occurred during the popular peaceful revolution of 2011, which the forces of the former President Saleh faced with brutal massacres which incurred thousands of casualties, killed and injured."
She said that the national commission had investigated into 17 thousand cases of abuse allegations in international standards of transparency in areas under the government and rebels control.
She called on the international community and the UN Commissioner for Human Rights to provide technical assistance including training for the national committee's members to perfect their performance.